- Diverse experience over 22 years: 8 years using Linux, Apache, nginx and MySQL, plus 13 years using and supporting Windows.
- 3 years programming Perl and supporting Linux, Apache, nginx and MySQL for a high capacity website.
- 2 years as technical lead for a small team of developers and sysadmins.
August 2011 to present (Technical Lead)
SpareRoom.co.uk is one of the busiest flatsharing websites in the UK.
- Technical lead for a small team of developers and sysadmins.
- Introduced unit testing and developed procedures for testing and refactoring legacy code.
- Defined Perl coding standards and introduced code reviews.
- Drove continuous refactoring of code and simplification of server and application architecture, thus leading to code and servers that are easier to maintain.
- Created standardised development and testing environments using Vagrant and Puppet across VirtualBox and remote KVM virtual machines.
- Simplified the release process, making it quicker, safer and more automated.
- Migrated the version control system from Subversion to Git and provided documentation and training.
- Planned, tested and carried out migration of advert photo storage and retrieval from a dedicated server to Amazon S3, using ELB, EC2 and S3.
- Interviewed developers and provided training for new starters.
- Planned and implemented a Perl upgrade from version 5.8 to 5.18.2.
- Planned and implemented a database upgrade from MySQL 4.1.22 to Percona Server 5.6.
August 2005 to August 2011
Web development and IT support for small businesses.
- Created database driven websites with custom content management systems.
- Earlier sites used Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP. Later sites used Linux, nginx, MySQL and Perl. For these, I utilised the Catalyst MVC framework and DBIx::Class.
- Hand-coded all HTML and CSS.
- Designed and produced artwork using open source tools (primarily Inkscape and Gimp).
Additional work included:
- The development and testing of installation procedures for a Microsoft Silverlight IIS complaints system that had been designed for local councils by a software development company in Wilmslow.
- The development of an application for Reed Professional Services to extract information from their accounting system, create PDF remittance advice notes, and email these directly to contractors. The application processes around 300 remittance advice notes per week. It was written in MS Visual Basic Express, and used an SQLite database.
Cheshire Building Society
July 2001 to April 2003 (Technical Support Programmer)
April 2003 to August 2005 (Infrastructure & Security Analyst)
Based in Technical Support, I was part of a small third level support team responsible for the all the back end IT systems:
- Testing and maintaining the disaster recovery plan.
- Design, installation and support for all intrusion detection, firewall and other security systems.
- Call-out support for all critical systems, including the core banking applications, security and intrusion detection and e-commerce systems.
- Providing training and support to User Support—the first and second level support team.
- Providing support to the Core Systems Development team.
Projects and responsibilities included:
- Design, implementation and support of the company's anti-virus software and procedures.
- Design, development and maintenance of a bespoke VB 6.0 application to install security patches and application updates, configure software and hardware settings and perform many other routine tasks at logon, whilst also providing extensive system information logs for all the company's PCs.
- The migration from Novell GroupWise 5.0 to Microsoft Exchange 2000 and Outlook 2002. This included server installation and configuration, migration of user accounts, and installation of software on all user PCs.
- The development of a bespoke application to automatically create and configure Exchange/Outlook profiles for users. It allows users to roam from PC to PC whilst maintaining all their settings, without the need for bloated Windows OS roaming profiles. This ensured that users maintained some of the functionality of GroupWise, whilst also benefiting from the new features of Exchange and Outlook.
- The design and installation of a Microsoft Active Directory environment run in parallel with the existing Novell Directory Services during the migration.
- The installation, configuration and roll-out of the RIM Blackberry messaging system.
Building Design Partnership
July 1996 to July 2001
BDP is a large architectural practice, with offices throughout the country. I was based in the Head Office as a member of the third level support team, Central IT Support.
- Provided technical support to first and second level IT support teams.
- Advised on PC hardware selection and standard configuration issues.
- Support and coordination of BDP's anti-virus software and security systems.
- Day to day supervision and training of the Installations Technician.
- Designed validation procedures used for all specialised technical software within the practice.
Projects and responsibilities included:
- The roll-out of Windows NT 4.0 and Windows NT 4.0 Server to all BDP offices.
- The development of a customised Microsoft Internet Explorer for the BDP Intranet.
- Testing and certification of all BDP's software for Year 2000 compliance.
- Development of Windows NT Mandatory Profiles, System Policies and logon scripts.
- Development of various bespoke utility applications using Visual Basic and Visual C++.
Perl, MySQL, Apache, nginx, Linux, Git, Subversion, Vim, HTML, CSS, VirtualBox, Amazon S3 (Simple Storage Services), Amazon EC2 (Elastic Cloud Compute), AWS (Amazon Web Services), Shell Scripting, Sphinx Search, MongoDB, PHP, Windows