- Diverse experience over 24 years, with the last 5 years as technical lead for a high capacity website: programming Perl, supporting Linux, Apache HTTP Server, nginx, HAProxy, MySQL, memcached and Gearman.
August 2011 to present (Technical Lead)
SpareRoom.co.uk is one of the busiest flatsharing websites in the UK.
- Introduced Perl coding standards, code reviews, unit testing, and procedures for testing and refactoring legacy code.
- Created standardised development and testing environments using VirtualBox.
- Migrated version control system from Subversion to Git.
- Moved advert photo storage from a physical server to Amazon S3 with an ELB and EC2 front-end.
- Improved site performance and scalability by implementing memcached and Gearman.
- Moved core systems to a new data centre, with servers provisioned by Cobbler, Kickstart and Puppet.
- Migrated core database from MySQL 4.1.22 to Percona Server 5.6.
- Upgraded Perl from 5.8.8 to 5.20.3.
- Used HAProxy for front-end and database load balancing.
- Used Perl with Rex and Pinto to create a fully automated release process.
- Led a project to move the website’s core search feature from MySQL to Sphinx Search.
- Improved recruitment procedures and introduced technical tests.
August 2005 to August 2011
- Web development and IT support for small businesses.
- Created database driven websites with custom content management systems.
- Sites built with Linux, Apache, nginx, MySQL, PHP and Perl (with the Catalyst MVC framework and DBIx::Class).
- The development of installation procedures for a Microsoft Silverlight IIS complaints system that had been designed for local councils by a software development company in Wilmslow.
- The development of an application for Reed Professional Services to extract information from their accounting system, create PDF remittance advice notes, and email these directly to contractors. It was written in MS Visual Basic Express, and used an SQLite database.
Cheshire Building Society
July 2001 to April 2003 (Technical Support Programmer)
April 2003 to August 2005 (Infrastructure & Security Analyst)
- Part of a small third level support team responsible for the all the back end IT systems.
- Testing and maintaining the disaster recovery plan.
- Design, installation and support for all intrusion detection, firewall and other security systems.
- Call-out support for all critical systems.
- Providing training and support to the first and second level support teams, and the Core Systems Development team.
Projects and responsibilities included:
- Design, implementation and support of the company’s anti-virus software and procedures.
- Design, development and maintenance of a bespoke VB 6.0 application to install security patches and application updates, configure software, and provide system information logs for all the company’s PCs.
- The migration from Novell GroupWise 5.0 to Microsoft Exchange 2000 and Outlook 2002.
- The development of a bespoke application to automatically create and configure Exchange/Outlook profiles for users.
- The design and installation of a Microsoft Active Directory environment.
- The installation, configuration and roll-out of the RIM Blackberry messaging system.
Building Design Partnership
July 1996 to July 2001 (Third-Level Technical Support)
- Technical support for first and second level IT support teams.
- Advised on PC hardware selection and standard configuration issues.
- Support and coordination of BDP’s anti-virus software and security systems.
- Day to day supervision and training of the Installations Technician.
- Designed validation procedures used for all specialised technical software within the practice.
Projects and responsibilities included:
- The roll-out of Windows NT 4.0 and Windows NT 4.0 Server to all BDP offices.
- The development of a customised Microsoft Internet Explorer for the BDP Intranet.
- Testing and certification of all BDP’s software for Year 2000 compliance.
- Development of Windows NT Mandatory Profiles, System Policies and logon scripts.
- Development of various bespoke utility applications using Visual Basic and Visual C++.
Expert Systems Design
July 1995 TO July 1996 (Developer & On-Site Support)
Atkins Odlin & Partners
April 1992 to July 1995 (Computer Administrator & AutoCAD Technician)
Perl, MySQL, Apache, nginx, Linux, Git, Vim, HTML, CSS, VirtualBox, AWS, S3, EC2, Shell Scripting, Sphinx Search, MongoDB, PHP, Windows, Puppet, Cobbler, Kickstart, memcached, Gearman, Varnish